Mertzie's Buffalo Chicken Salad
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- cup milk
- packet ranch dressing mix
- stalks celery
- jar buffalo hot sauce (such as frank's)
- sweet chili sauce; chili garlic sauce
- liquid smoke
- lettuce, blue cheese, tomatoes, rolls
How to Make Mertzie's Buffalo Chicken Salad
- 1I mixed a packet of ranch w/ about 1 cup of milk (however much it takes to cover chicken) and then soaked the chicken overnight in this mix.
- 2Remove chicken & discard marinade. (You don't need to dry off chicken or wipe off excess milk.) Place chicken breasts in slow cooker. I added about 3 heaping tablespoons of chili garlic sauce & just a tiny splash of liquid smoke. Add an onion, cut in half, for flavor. Cook on high for about 3.5 hours, or until the chicken flakes easily.
- 3Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Discard most of the liquid in crockpot & the onion (or save it & chop it to top on your salad or sub, if you wish). Return to crockpot & add as much hot sauce or buffalo sauce as you like (probably about 1/4-1/2 jar to start). Mix well. If you like it more mild, add some sweet chili sauce and bit more chili garlic sauce. Mix well and cook for about another 30 minutes.
- 4Add 2 stalks of diced celery and stir well. Plate on lettuce with tomatoes, blue cheese crumbles, and blue cheese dressing. Or serve as a sub in a hoagie roll with lettuce, tomato, blue cheese dressing. Enjoy!