BOB'S CROCK POT CHICKEN DRESSING
- 3 c
- chicken broth
- 10.75 oz. cans of cream of chicken soup
- 1 stick
- butter, melted
- 2 large
- eggs, hard boiled then chopped
- 1 large
- onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- sage, dried
- whole hen stewed, de- boned then cut into small pieces
- can use the broth chicken was cooked in for the 3 cups of broth
- cook a large black iron skillet of corn bread by following recipe.
- 2 c
- self rising corn meal
- 2/3 c
- self rising flour
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 2 large
- raw eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 c
- cooking oil
- 1 c
- small amount of milk and water to gain consistency
How to Make BOB'S CROCK POT CHICKEN DRESSING
- 1CORN BREAD: Cook corn bread first thing.Can even cook the day before, crumble and place in a gallon zip lock plastic bag. You will use about 2 quarts of corn bread. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- 2Grease iron skillet with butter Crisco and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- 3Combine cornmeal, flour, and baking powder. Add eggs, oil and buttermilk. Add enough (sweet) milk to make dough stir well but not runny, add 1/4 cup of water and mix well.
- 4Pour into prepared iron skillet. Cook about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Turn out of pan on to a plate and completely cool. Crumble into small pieces and store in gallon plastic bag.
- 5DRESSING: Mix together the following: Crumbled corn bread, sage, chopped onion, boiled and chopped eggs, butter, ONE can of the cream of chicken soup, (you'll use the other one later), 3 cups of chicken broth. MIX WELL.
- 6In a large crock pot layer 1/2 can of the second cream of chicken soup, 1/2 dressing, 1/2 chopped chicken, 1/2 dressing, continue to layer until all dressing and chicken is in the crock pot, finish with the other 1/2 cream of chicken soup on top.
- 7Cook on high 5 hours. Stir half way through then turn to low the last 45 minutes. May add a little more broth if necessary.
- 8NOTE: I also cook my chicken the day before, let it cool, de bone it, remove skin and chop. I pour about 2 cups of the chicken broth over the chicken to keep it moist. Put into a covered dish and refrigerate until ready to use. Also, store rest of broth in the refrigerator and use to equal 3 cups. Heat before mixing in crock pot.
- 9I add salt and pepper to chicken when it is almost done. When dressing is 3/4 done, take out a small amount to taste, add more salt and black pepper if necessary.