1 lbpinto beans, dried or 4 (15oz) cans of pinto beans
1/2 conions, finely chopped
1chile, fresh and finely chopped
1/2 tspchicken bouillon
1/2 cvegetable oil
1/2 ccooked skinless boneless chicken breasts, diced
1/2 csour cream
1/2 cmonterey jack cheese, grated
1/4 cgreen onions, chopped with tops
2 can(s)of chipolte chilis in adobo sauce
How to Make Chicken and Bean Tortilla Casserole
- Four 15 ounce cans of pinto beans may be substituted for the water and you should use 1/3 to 1/2 cup of canned chipotle chiles in adobo.
- Tortillas should be 8-inches in diameter and be warmed.
- Mix water, beans, chopped onion and garlic in 4-quart dutch oven.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer uncovered until beans are tender, about 3 hours adding water if necessary.
- Place half the beans, 1/2 cup of bean liquid, the chipotle chiles, bouillon (dry) and cumin in food processor work bowl fitted with steel blade or in blender container.
- Cover and process until smooth; pour into large bowl.
- Place remaining beans with just enough liquid to cover in workbowl and cover and process until smooth; add to bean mixture in bowl.
- Heat oil in 10-inch skillet until hot; stir in bean mixture.
- Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until mixture is consistency of cake batter.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spoon scan 1/4 cup chicken onto half of each tortilla; fold tortillas into halves.
- Arrange in greased 3-quart round shallow casserole or rectangular baking dish 13 X 9 X 2-inches; spoon bean mixture over tortillas.
- Top with sour cream, cheese and green onions.
- Bake uncovered until hot and bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes.