- pastry for double crust pie
- 3/4 c
- chopped green sweet pepper, one medium
- 1/2 c
- chopped sweet onion, one small
- 1 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 c
- shredded cooked pork, beef, chicken, or turkey
- 1/2 c
- bottled barbecue sauce
- 1 c
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese with jalapeno peppers, 4 ounces
- milk, warmed barbecue sauce -- or sweet hot mustard
How to Make Barbecue Pasties
- 1Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare pastry for double crust pie. Divide dough into two portions. On a lightly floured surface use your hands to slightly flatten one pastry portion. Roll pastry from center to edges into a circle 13 1/2 to 14 inches in diameter. Cut five 5” circles. Re roll scraps to cut a 6th circle. Repeat with remaining dough half for a total of twelve 5 inch circles
- 2For filling, in medium skillet, cook sweet pepper and onion in hot oil over medium heat about four minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in pork and 1/2 cup barbecue sauce.
Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture onto half of each pastry circle. Top with a rounded tablespoon shredded cheese. Lightly moistened edge of pastry with milk. Fold other half of pastry over filling. Seal edges by crimping with a fork. Brush pasties with a little additional milk. Place on an ungreased extra large baking sheet or on two medium baking sheets.
- 3Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until Golden Brown. Cool slightly on wire racks. Serve warm with additional barbecue sauce and/or sweet hot mustard for dipping.