Balsamic Chicken with Smashed Potatoes
Anna De Bar
6 sliceof lean bacon, snipped into strips with scissors
8boneless chicken breasts or 1 4 lb chicken cut into pieces
1 lbshallots thinly sliced.
1bulb of garlic, medium sized, roughly chopped (or a little less if you like)
1cup balsamic vinegar
·salt and fresh pepper to taste
·smashed red potatoes
5 lbred potatoes cut in 1/2 with skins on
1package of low-fat cream cheese, cut into cubes
1/3 cskim milk
How to Make Balsamic Chicken with Smashed Potatoes
Cook bacon in a deep skillet over low heat until crisp. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Reserve the bacon fat in the skillet.
- After the bacon is done cooking, add the chicken breasts to the skillet of bacon drippings and brown on both sides and mostly cooked through. You may have to do this in batches. Remove and place on a plate for later
- Pour off most of the bacon grease and return to the heat. Add the shallots and saute over medium heat. Stir occasionally and saute covered, until soft and golden, about 10 minutes
- Remove lid and cook for another 10 minutes. Add the garlic and 1 cup of water and allow to lightly boil for 1 minute. Return the chicken to the skillet , turning the pieces to coat them. Simmer uncovered until the chicken is completely cooked and the garlic is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving dish. Add the balsamic vinegar to the skillet with the shallots and allow to boil until thickened. Mash the garlic a little with the back of a wooden spoon. Once thickened, pour over the chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle with the bacon. I like to also give a dusting of freshly ground pepper too!
- Smashed Red Potatoes
Boil the potatoes until just tender and drain.
Add the cream cheese, salt, pepper and milk and, using a hand masher, break up the pieces. (I like to leave it a little chunky to give it a rustic feel)
Stir lightly to combine