Balsamic Chicken with Smashed Potatoes
Anna De Bar
- 6 slice
- of lean bacon, snipped into strips with scissors
- boneless chicken breasts or 1 4 lb chicken cut into pieces
- 1 lb
- shallots thinly sliced.
- bulb of garlic, medium sized, roughly chopped (or a little less if you like)
- cup balsamic vinegar
- cup water
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- smashed red potatoes
- 5 lb
- red potatoes cut in 1/2 with skins on
- package of low-fat cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1/3 c
- skim milk
- salt/fresh pepper
How to Make Balsamic Chicken with Smashed Potatoes
Cook bacon in a deep skillet over low heat until crisp. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Reserve the bacon fat in the skillet.
- 2After the bacon is done cooking, add the chicken breasts to the skillet of bacon drippings and brown on both sides and mostly cooked through. You may have to do this in batches. Remove and place on a plate for later
- 3Pour off most of the bacon grease and return to the heat. Add the shallots and saute over medium heat. Stir occasionally and saute covered, until soft and golden, about 10 minutes
- 4Remove lid and cook for another 10 minutes. Add the garlic and 1 cup of water and allow to lightly boil for 1 minute. Return the chicken to the skillet , turning the pieces to coat them. Simmer uncovered until the chicken is completely cooked and the garlic is tender, about 20 minutes.
- 5Transfer the chicken to a serving dish. Add the balsamic vinegar to the skillet with the shallots and allow to boil until thickened. Mash the garlic a little with the back of a wooden spoon. Once thickened, pour over the chicken breasts.
- 6Sprinkle with the bacon. I like to also give a dusting of freshly ground pepper too!
- 7Smashed Red Potatoes
Boil the potatoes until just tender and drain.
Add the cream cheese, salt, pepper and milk and, using a hand masher, break up the pieces. (I like to leave it a little chunky to give it a rustic feel)
Stir lightly to combine