Baba's Chicken Paprikash with Dumplings
- 2 Tbsp
- vegatable oil
- 1 Tbsp
- margarine or butter
- 1 c
- chopped onion
- 1-2 Tbsp
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 c
- chicken stock
- chicken, cut up. (2-2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 c
- sour cream
- homemade dumplings
- (i sometimes add chopped green pepper while adding the above chopped onion)
How to Make Baba's Chicken Paprikash with Dumplings
- 1Heat oil and margarine in pot. Add onion, salt and pepper to taste & paprika; cook until tender.
- 2Stir in salt and chicken stock; bring to a boil. Add chicken and reduce heat.
- 3Simmer 45 minutes or until chicken is tender. (my Baba's would serve with the chicken in pieces, but, when I make, I cook until chicken is falling off bones and then debone the chicken meat and return meat to pot.)
- 4Stir together the flour and sour cream in a bowl until well blended. Then stir into the pot of chicken paprikash.
- 5Heat through, but do not boil.
- 6Serve with homemade dumplings. (May serve over the dumplings or may add the homemade dumplings to the pot of paprikash and let heat through.) I do the latter. The dumplings sop up all that goodness!
- 7HOMEMADE DUMPLINGS:
3 cup flour
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
Mix ingredients until smooth. Drop by edge of tablespoon into pot of boiling water. Cook about 10 minutes or until done. Drain. Add to paprikash or serve paprikash over dumplings.
*TIP: Dip spoon into boinling water first.