"As Close to KFC as I Can Get it" Fried Chicken
- 3 lb
- whole chicken pieces
- 24 oz
- vegetable oil (or 6 cups shortening if using pressure cooking method)
- 2 c
- large egg
- 2 2/3 c
- 1 pkg
- top ramen chicken flavor seasoning (set noodles aside for another use)
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- sweet paprika
- 1/8 tsp
- garlic powder
How to Make "As Close to KFC as I Can Get it" Fried Chicken
- 1Place chicken pieces into a large glass or plastic bowl. Pour enough cold water to cover chicken and add 1/2 cup salt and 2 teaspoons granulated sugar to make a brine. Cover and chill overnight in refrigerator. Remove chicken and discard brine. Rinse chicken thoroughly. Allow chicken to drain, about 20 mins, then pat dry with paper towels.
- 2Whisk egg until whites are bubbly and a little frothy while gradually incorporating buttermilk until thoroughly mixed. Combine flour, MSG, Top Ramen seasoning, and other seasonings into a separate mixing bowl, and mix until well blended.
- 3Heat oil in fryer or large frying pot to 400 degrees. Meanwhile, dip chicken in buttermilk mixture, then roll in flour mixture, a few pieces at a time. Let pieces rest about 15 - 20 mins to allow breading to set.
- 4Carefully lower chicken pieces into hot oil using fry basket or heavy slotted spoon, a few pieces at a time so not to crowd the chicken together. Fry until chicken is a nice golden brown and internal temperature is 160 degrees. Drain pieces on paper towels, and let rest for 15 minutes to allow juices to redistribute through meat. Serve
- 5SUGGESTED PRESSURE COOKER METHOD:
Melt shortening in pressure cooker over medium heat until temperature reaches 400 degrees. Drop chicken, a few pieces at a time, and close and lock the lid. Cook for 10 minutes after pressure builds. Release lid, remove chicken, and drain. Let rest for 15 minutes. Serve.