Summer Succotash with Smoked Sausage
I never thought I liked lima beans until making this recipe, now I love them.
For an even heartier meal, add a skillet of hot corn bread, fresh from the oven, or piping hot homemade biscuits.
You will have a Southern meal fit for the King of any Castle. Enjoy!
2 12oz pkggreen baby lima beans
3 cchicken broth, i used low sodium
1 12oz pkgkielbasa smoked sausage
3 cfresh corn kernals
1 cchopped onion
2 clovegarlic, minced
·black pepper to taste
1 cgrape tomatoes, or any small tomatoes, i used a mixture i had on hand
2 Tbspred wine vinegar
3 Tbspchopped fresh chives, i used freeze dried
·fresh sage, parsley, rosemary, thyme, marjarom, a small amount of each, chopped
How to Make Summer Succotash with Smoked Sausage
- In dutch oven or large pan, bring beans, broth and water to a boil over med high heat. Reduce heat and simmer beans for about 15 min. until tender. Drain beans and set aside. Reserve broth.
- In large cast iron skillet, cut smoked sausage into 1inch pieces. Saute sausage until brown. .
- Add corn, onion, and garlic. Cook about 5 min, or until browned.
- Add lima beans, pepper, chives, fresh herbs, and 2 cups of reserved broth. Cover and cook over medium- low heat for 10 min.
- Stir in tomatoes and vinegar; cook until tomatoes begin to soften, about 8 minutes.
- season with salt and pepper to taste. I do not use salt, so I did not add any. I thought the Kielbasa was salty enough.