Skillet Shepard's Pie
- 1 1/2 lb
- russet potatoes (about 3-4 medium), peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 lb
- ground beef or ground lamb
- onion, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 c
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp
- tomato paste
- 2 c
- low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp
- fresh thyme, minced
- 2 tsp
- worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 1/2 c
- half and half
- 2 c
- frozen pea-carrot mix, thawed
How to Make Skillet Shepard's Pie
- 1Put the diced potatoes into a large pot and pour in cold water so it covers the potatoes by one inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- 2While the potatoes simmer, cook the beef or lamb in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until almost cooked through and the fat has rendered, about 3 minutes. Drain the meat through a fine mesh strainer, discarding all but 1 tablespoon of fat.
- 3Add reserved tablespoon of meat fat to skillet and return to medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour is incorporated, about 1 minute.
- 4Slowly whish in broth, thyme and Worcestershire, scraping up browned bits and bring to a simmer. Return the meat to skillet, cover, and cook over med-low heat until sauce is nicely thickened and flavorful, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 5Drain potoates, return to the pot and mash smooth using a potato masher. Stir in butter and then half and half. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover to keep warm.
- 6Stir peas and carrots into the meat mixutre and simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Serve stew in individual bowls and top with mashed potatoes.