Skillet Shepard's Pie
1 1/2 lbrusset potatoes (about 3-4 medium), peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 1/2 lbground beef or ground lamb
·salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cunbleached all-purpose flour
1 Tbsptomato paste
2 clow-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 tspfresh thyme, minced
2 tspworcestershire sauce
2 Tbspunsalted butter
1/2 chalf and half
2 cfrozen pea-carrot mix, thawed
How to Make Skillet Shepard's Pie
- Put the diced potatoes into a large pot and pour in cold water so it covers the potatoes by one inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes simmer, cook the beef or lamb in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until almost cooked through and the fat has rendered, about 3 minutes. Drain the meat through a fine mesh strainer, discarding all but 1 tablespoon of fat.
- Add reserved tablespoon of meat fat to skillet and return to medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour is incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Slowly whish in broth, thyme and Worcestershire, scraping up browned bits and bring to a simmer. Return the meat to skillet, cover, and cook over med-low heat until sauce is nicely thickened and flavorful, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain potoates, return to the pot and mash smooth using a potato masher. Stir in butter and then half and half. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover to keep warm.
- Stir peas and carrots into the meat mixutre and simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve stew in individual bowls and top with mashed potatoes.