Quebecois Maple Syrup Baked Beans
- 3 c
- dried navy beans
- 4 oz
- smoked bacon or smoked ham
- yellow onions, diced
- 1-2 clove
- garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 c
- real maple syrup (not imitation maple syrup!)
- 1 Tbsp
- dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp
- dry mustard, like coleman's
- salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make Quebecois Maple Syrup Baked Beans
- 1Place the dried navy beans in a large bowl. Cover with plenty of cold water and soak overnight at room temperature.
- 2With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. (150 °C).
- 3In a large saucepan or oven-safe Dutch oven, brown the bacon. Add the onions and garlic. Sauté for about 2 minutes. Add the drained beans and remaining ingredients. Add enough cold water to cover 2 inches (5 cm.) above the beans. Bring to a boil.
- 4Remove from the heat, place in the Dutch oven and bake for about 4 hours, until the beans are tender. Add water, if necessary, during cooking. You want to avoid the beans drying out.