3 mediumbaking potatoes, sliced thin
2 lbapplewood smoked bacon
1 lboka cheese
1/2 lbcremini mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cchopped chives
1 Tbspmontreal steak seasoning or herbs de provence
How to Make Potato and Bacon Tart
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a 6-inch non-stick fry pan with bacon slices, arranging them in a radial pattern and starting with one end of bacon in the centre of the pan and the other end draped over the edge.
- When the entire surface of the pan has been covered, sprinkle with seasoning of choice and add 2 layers of sliced potatoes to cover the bottom.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and repeat layers until they are slightly above the top of the pan. Make sure to layer the mushrooms in the middle of the tart.
- Fold the bacon, one slice at a time up and over the potato mound toward the center.
- Carefully overlap each slice and repeat until the top is completely and neatly covered with bacon. Press down and cover with a lid.
- Place tart on a baking sheet, which will catch any drips during cooking.
- Bake for 3 hours. It has to cook low and slow so the potatoes cook and the bacon doesn't burn.
- The lid will eventually come down and sit on the pan as the food cooks.
- When done, remove from over and carefully turn pan over and invert tart onto a serving plate.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, cut into 1 slices and serve.