Ooey Gooey Mac 'n Cheese by Maggie
I have always loved that "Blue Box" mac & cheese but sometimes you just need more.
So I headed to the always faithful little bits of this and that section of the fridge and created a masterpiece !
We really like those canned onion rings for a topper on casseroles and even a bit on a salad so those had to come into play here.
Once in a while I like to toss in some of those little smoked sausages or pepperoni for a little extra happiness.
Just do your thing with this !
1box of that "blue box" mac and cheese
1/4 cmelted butter
1envelope cheese powder from that blue box mac and cheese
1 tspdry mustard powder
1 cgrated pepper jack cheese
1 cgrated sharp cheddar cheese
4 ozcream cheese - softened and cubed
2 ozvelveeta cheese - cubed
·canned onion rings for topping
·pepperoni, salami, little smoked sausages for additional add-ins if desired
How to Make Ooey Gooey Mac 'n Cheese by Maggie
- Melt butter over low heat in medium size saucepan.
- Sprinkle the flour into the melted butter and stir continually until the mixture just begins to turn toasty brown.
Remove from heat immediately to prevent burning.
- Slowly pour about 1/4 of the milk at a time into the flour mixture. Whisk well to insure complete blending before adding more milk.
- When you have about half of the milk blended in return the pot to a low heat and cook slowly.
Your mixture will begin to thicken.
Once it does, sprinkle in the envelope of cheese powder and the dry mustard and whisk in. Then add the remainder of the milk and whisk to incorporate thoroughly.
- Continue to cook over low heat until it begins to thicken slightly.
Remove from heat and stir in the pepper jack, cheddar cheese, cream cheese and Velveeta. Stir until cheese has melted and blended together.
- Your cheese mixture will be thick. If you want it thinner, return to low heat and slowly add small amounts of milk until you get your desired consistency.
- If you are adding protein this is the time to do it. Stir in your pepperoni or salami or sausages until they are coated and warmed.
- Pour the cooked, drained and cooled pasta into the cheese sauce and stir until the entire mixture is heated through.
- Serve in individual bowls topped with onion rings.
Salt and pepper to taste.