Nai, Baked Greek Meatballs!
2 cleftover cooked rice (brown, basmati, even orzo or pastina will work as a substitute)
1/2 Tbspfresh greek oregano, finely minced or 3/4 teaspoon dried greek oregano
1/4 cred or yellow onion, finely minced
1/4 tspground cinnamon
1/2 cfeta cheese or myzithra, crumbled/grated
1 lbground beef or ground lamb (or a combination of both)
1 smallegg (read my *note below)
2 mediumzucchini or similar vegetable (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cbasic tomato sauce (marinara sauce, for example)
How to Make Nai, Baked Greek Meatballs!
- *NOTE: If meat mixture does not want to bind, add a small beaten egg to the mix.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
In large bowl, combine leftover rice/pasta, oregano, onion, garlic, cinnamon and *1/4 cup* feta or myzithra cheese. Add the beef/lamb just until combined.
- In 13" x 9" greased baking dish arrange the zucchini slices in single layer. Grease a small cookie dough scoop with olive oil then shape the meat mixture into sixteen 1 1/2" balls. Place the meatballs on top of zucchini and drizzle with the tomato/marinara sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover baking dish with foil. Bake 20 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and no longer pink.
- Uncover, and top with remaining feta or myzithra cheese. Let sit in oven for about 1 minute or until the cheese has melted.