Mexican Baked Rice Casserole
1 1/2 Tbspbutter
1 clong-grain white rice
2poblano chiles, fresh, sometime called pasillas
1 Tbspvegetable oil
1/4 conion, chopped, plus
2 Tbsponions, chopped
1garlic clove, chopped
3/4 cwhole kernel corn, canned and drained
1/2 csour cream
1/4 cfresh cilantro, chopped
2 1/4 csharp white cheddar cheese, grated, about 9 ounce
How to Make Mexican Baked Rice Casserole
- Char chiles over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides, turning occasionally.
- Wrap in plastic and cool 10 minutes. Peel, seed and chop chiles.
- Bring 2 cups water, butter and salt to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Add rice, return to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 16 minutes.
- Transfer rice to large bowl; cool rice, stirring occasionally with fork.
- Butter 2-quart shallow baking dish.
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1/4 cup onion and garlic, sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add chopped chiles; sauté 1 minute.
- Add chile mixture and corn to rice in bowl.
- Whisk sour cream, cilantro and 2 tablespoons chopped onion in small bowl.
- Add sour cream mixture and cheese to rice, stir.
- Transfer rice mixture to prepared dish.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Let stand 2 hours at room temperature before continuing).
- Preheat oven to 325°F Bake rice until sides are light brown and mixture is heated through, about 25 minutes.