Macaroni & Cheese - All Grown Up
Use any shape pasta you like (rotelle, gigli, elbow macaroni, rotini, etc.)
Both stove-top AND bake in oven are not an option - I've just listed stove-top in the cooking method but you will want to brown the breadcrumb top in the oven.
·3 cups dry pasta
·3 tbsp. butter
·3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
·¼ tsp. salt (more or less)
·½ tsp. mustard powder
·¼ tsp. grated nutmeg
·1 ½ cups beer, room temperature
·1 cup half-and-half
·1 ¼ cups grated, sharp yellow cheddar cheese
·1 ½ tbsp. horseradish (or to taste)
·¾ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
·2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
·2 ½ tbsp. melted butter
How to Make Macaroni & Cheese - All Grown Up
- Assemble all ingredients and cooking utensils.
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Very lightly spritz a square baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Bring salted pasta cooking water to boil and stir in dry pasta. Boil, stirring occasionally, according to pkg. directions to al denté; drain.
- While pasta cooks, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, salt, nutmeg and mustard powder and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the beer (watch out it doesn’t foam up and over the top) and bring to a simmer; whisk in the half-and-half until smooth. Taste for seasoning and add a pinch more salt, if desired. Continue to simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened (3 - 4 minutes). Stir in the cheese and horseradish until smooth. Remove from heat.
- In small bowl, mix bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and melted butter; set aside.
- Stir cooked pasta together with cheese/beer sauce and pour into baking dish or spoon into individual ramekins, top with buttered bread crumb mixture; bake in 425º F oven until top is nicely browned, (about 3 – 5 minutes). Watch carefully as ovens vary...this can go from ‘nicely browned,’ to burned in no time.