Gram's Chili Con Carne My Way!
1 lblean ground beef or chuck
1 mediumonion, diced
2 clovefresh garlic, minced
1/4 cchili powder
2 tspcumin, ground
1/8 tspcayenne pepper, adjust to taste
1 tspfresh ground black pepper
1 can(s)hunts low sodium diced tomatoes, or 5 fresh ripe plum tomatoes, diced
1 can(s)hunts low sodium tomato sauce or 1 1/2 c homemade sauce if you have it
1 can(s)bush''s best chili beans, in mild or medium chili sauce. i use low sodium kidney beans when i can find them!
1 1/2 celbow macaroni
1 bag(s)mexican taco mix shredded cheese
NOTE: IF USING FRESH INGREDIENTS, YOU MAY NEED TO ADD WATER TO YOUR MIXTURE. ADD ABOUT 1/4 CUP AT A TIME UNTIL YOU REACH THE RIGHT CHILI CONSISTENCY
How to Make Gram's Chili Con Carne My Way!
- In large skillet, add your diced onion and beef. Brown the beef and onion together until there is no pink left in the meat. DO NOT allow the onion to burn.
- Drain the grease from the pan if there is any.
- Moving the meat and onions to the side of the pan, add in this order, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and black pepper. Stir and cook allowing them to bloom about 30 seconds. And then stir into the meat and onion mix.
- Add Tomato sauce, Diced Tomatoes, and kidney beans. Mix together well and bring to a boil. Turn the pan down to simmer and allow to cook and reduce for about an hour.
- In a large saucepan, cook your elbow macaroni until tender. Rinse in cold water. Put aside in a mixing bowl awaiting chili.
- When chili is ready, mix it into the cooked elbow macaroni.
Get a good sized cassarole dish out and making layers, you will put a layer of chili macaroni on the bottom, top with some cheese, add another layer of chili macaroni and cheese until topped only with cheese.
Put in a hot oven at 325 degrees and cook until bubbles about 15 to 20 minutes.
Allow dish to sit for a good 5 to 10 minutes before serving to allow flavors to mingle well.