Garden Fresh Tomato and Bacon Pie
I've tweaked with some very minor changes.
I used my "100 Year Old Pie Crust" recipe that always makes any pie better. I used 1/2 of the ingredients for the pie crust. It made a very nice thick flakey crust.
100 Year Old Pie Crust Recipe - Dee Dee's
1deep dish pie shell (i make the 100 Year Old Pie Crust Recipe - Dee Dee's, using 1/2 of the recipe)
1 1/2 to 2 ccheese, shredded i used parmesan, cheddar and swiss (a little more than 1/2 cup each) reserve 1/2 cup for topping
1/2 cgreen onion,sliced (or you can used chopped onion of your choice)
3 to 4 cfresh tomatoes, chopped or sliced
1 or 2 pinchdried oregano, more if desired
1 or 2 pinchdried basil, more if desired
·salt & pepper
6 to 8 slicebacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
3 to 4 Tbspmayonnaise
How to Make Garden Fresh Tomato and Bacon Pie
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove crust from oven. Reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- Now add a layer of cheese, onion, and tomatoes to pie crust. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, oregano and basil. Continue layering until ingredients are gone except for 1/2 cup of cheese. I had 2 layers.
NOTE: Chop tomatoes and drain in a colander for at least 30 minutes before adding to pie. You can slice the tomatoes if desired. Use firm ripe tomatoes. You don’t want the pie to be juicy
- Combine the crumbled bacon, mayonnaise, and cheese: spread on top of the pie. NOTE: Add'l mayo may be needed but don’t go overboard. Sprinkle with extra cheese if desired.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand for at least 15 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!