Game Stew With Cider and Apples
- 2 lb
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- onions, diced
- parsnip, peeled and diced
- carrots, diced
- 2 c
- hard cider
- chicken stock
- 1 tsp
- herbes de provence
- bay leaves
- sprig thyme
- 1/4 tsp
- allspice, ground
- apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
How to Make Game Stew With Cider and Apples
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F
- 2In an ovenproof cassrole dish large enough to hold the 2 pounds of game, heat the olive oil and brown the game in batches. Set aside.
- 3Add onions (and more oil if necessary), then parsnip and carrots and fry on medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- 4Add cider, herbs and spices, bring to a boil, then add the browned game.
- 5Add just enough stock to cover the game and bring to a boil.
- 6Cover the casserole with the lid and cook in the oven for about 1-1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 7If the liquid is too thin, mix one tablespoon cornstach with some cold water, stir into the stew, bring to another boil and add the sliced apples.
- 8Simmer for another 15-20 minutes.
- 9Serve with white bread.