Creamy Chicken, Mushroom and Wild Rice Casserole
4 Tbspoil, plus more for the dish
1 1/2 cwild rice blend
1 smallonion, chopped
1 lbwhite mushrooms, sliced
2 largegarlic cloves, chopped
1 pkgbaby spinach, 9-10 oz.
3 Tbspall purpose flour
3 cmilk, 2%
8 ozshredded swiss cheese
1/4 tspred pepper
3 crotisserie chicken, deboned
2 Tbspfresh thyme
How to Make Creamy Chicken, Mushroom and Wild Rice Casserole
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Oil a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook under tender 6-8 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until tender 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and thyme and cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with the spinach.
- Wipe out skillet and heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Sprinkle flour over the oil and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the milk. Simmer whisking often until thickened about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add cheese, red pepper, salt and pepper; stir until the cheese melts and sauce is smooth.
- Shred chicken, discarding skin and bones. Add the chicken and rice to the cheese mixture and toss to coat.
- Fold in the spinach mushroom mixture.
- Transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake until bubbling around the edges 45 to 50 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.