Chicken Mushroom Casserole (Chicken Glorious)
Don't use a Dutch oven for this recipe - it won't turn out well.
You can also include artichokes, but avoid substituting it with zucchini because it gets too mushy and will disintegrate.
Leftovers freeze well. To reheat, let it thaw in fridge. Preheat oven to 350°F, and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- 4 large
- skin-on chicken breasts
- black pepper
- 1 cup
- all-purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp
- cooking oil, divided
- 1 lb
- sliced mushrooms (button or cremini are good choices)
- 1 can(s)
- artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 medium
- onion, diced
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 cups
- low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 1 cup
- half & half
How to Make Chicken Mushroom Casserole (Chicken Glorious)
- 1Season chicken with salt and pepper, and dredge both sides in flour.
- 2Heat 3 Tbsp oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and sauté until golden. Work in batches if needed, so you don’t crowd the pan. Don’t worry about completely cooking the chicken through; it still goes into the oven for more cooking. Transfer chicken to 13x9-inch baking dish.
- 3Wipe skillet with paper towel. Add 3 Tbsp oil with the mushrooms, artichokes (if using), and diced onions, and sauté until soft and golden. Add garlic and sauté another 1 to 2 minutes. Spread mushroom mixture over the chicken.
- 4In a medium saucepan (or same skillet you have been using), melt butter. Whisk in 3 tbsp flour until lightly golden, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- 5Add chicken broth, lemon juice and pepper , and whisk until smooth. Add half & half and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
- 6Pour sauce over the chicken and mushrooms. Cover with foil, and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Serve hot over cooked rice, pasta or mashed potatoes.