Chicken and Noodles Casserole by Maggie
It's super easy to make and can be customized to suit your own tastes.
Wonderful to eat on a cold evening and the leftovers are yummy !
The recipe I am sharing is the basic recipe but each time I make it I add a little of this or that depending on what sounds good at the time.
3 ozpasta - egg noodles, shells, campenelli, bow tie or linguine
2 cfresh mushrooms sliced
2 Tbspyellow or white onion chopped
2 Tbspchopped celery
1/2 cchicken stock or broth
1 can(s)cream of chicken soup
1/3 csour cream
2 Tbspmayonnaise - not miracle whip
1/2 cfrozen or fresh peas
1-1/2 ccooked chicken - cut into bite size pieces
6 ozshredded cheese - pepper jack or cheddar or any combination of what you like
·additional shredded cheese for garnish
·canned onion rings for garnish
How to Make Chicken and Noodles Casserole by Maggie
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Lightly spray a 7 x 11 or 8 x 8 baking dish and set aside.
- Cook pasta in boiling water until just under al dente. It will continue to cook as it bakes in the oven.
Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Melt butter in large deep pot on medium heat.
Add mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the celery and onions and cook and stir 4 min. or until crisp-tender.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushroom mixture in the pot and cook - stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
Gradually stir in chicken broth and milk and bring to boil.
Cook and whisk until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the soup, sour cream, mayonnaise, peas and chicken.
- Add the cooked pasta to the mix and stir to coat.
Put the mixture into your prepared baking dish.
Sprinkle shredded cheese over all then top with some onion rings.
- Cover and bake for about 40 minutes or until heated through.
Remove cover and continue to cook for another 12 minutes.
Remove from oven and alllow to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle additional cheese and onion rings on top before serving if desired.