Cheesy Ham & Broccoli Pasta Casserole
It's not hard to make and this recipe makes enough for about 6 servings.
Mix up the cheeses you use and even add some extra spices that you enjoy to give it a little extra oomph.
We like to have this with a little green salad.
I hope you enjoy this dish.
2 cbow tie pasta - uncooked
2 cfresh broccoli florets cut into bite size pieces
2 cchopped smokey ham or smoked sausage links
1-2 cmilk - whole or 2%
1 cshredded cheddar cheese - medium or sharp
1/2 cshredded pepper jack cheese
1/2 cshredded monterey jack cheese
1/3 cgrated parmesan cheese
·salt and pepper to taste
1/2 ccrushed butter crackers
1/2 ccanned onion rings
How to Make Cheesy Ham & Broccoli Pasta Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
Lightly spray a baking dish - I like to use my 7" x 11" rectangle.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
Drop in the bow tie pasta and cook until just barely al dente.
Once is it cooked, drain well and give it a quick rinse then set aside.
- Cut the broccoli florets into smallish bite size pieces.
Steam until crisp tender then drain well and set aside.
- While the pasta and broccoli are cooking, cut the ham or smoked sausage into bite size pieces and set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat until melted.
Whisk in the flour and stirring constantly, cook for about 3 minutes.
Whisk the milk in about half at a time.
Bring to a high simmer over medium low heat.
Stir constantly for about 3 or 4 minutes until it is thickened.
- Add cheeses slowly and continue to cook over low heat while whisking until all of the cheese has melted and you have a smooth sauce.
- Add the pasta and meat. Stir gently to coat.
Add the steamed broccoli and gently stir to coat.
- Spoon the pasta mixture into your prepared baking dish.
Top with salt and pepper to taste then a thin layer of crushed butter crackers topped with canned onion rings.
- Bake - uncovered - for about 20 or 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Allow it to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.