Broccoli Chicken Orzo / Brown Rice
I've taken the basic and expanded it a little.
I prefer to use brown rice but I had some orzo in the pantry and wondered how that would work. It worked well .. not as hearty or nutty but still very good.
The Velveeta cheese product can be the flavor of your choice. I've made it with the queso with peppers and it give a little extra zing but the original works wonderfully.
1 ccooked brown rice or orzo
1 csteamed to crisp tender broccoli
2 csliced fresh mushrooms
2 Tbspchopped yellow onion
8 ozcooked chicken or ham - cut into bite size pieces
1/3 csliced water chestnuts
3 Tbspvelveeta cheese - original yellow or the queso with peppers
1/2 cchicken broth
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Broccoli Chicken Orzo / Brown Rice
- Cook the brown rice or orzo to package directions and set aside.
- Cut the broccoli into bite size pieces and steam until just crisp tender.
Drain and set aside.
- Use boneless and skinless cooked chicken. Rotisserie works really well for this or even leftover baked chicken.
Whether you are using chicken or ham, be sure to cut the protein into bite size pieces.
Set your protein aside.
- In a large skillet, or pot, heat butter over medium heat.
Toss in the mushrooms and cook - stirring frequently - until they just begin to caramelize.
Add the chopped onion and cook until tender.
- Once the mushrooms and onions are ready, add in the chicken (or ham), water chestnuts, broccoli and stir together.
- Drop the small pieces of cheese on top of the ingredients.
Remove from heat and put a lid on the pot and let it sit for about 4 minutes to soften the cheese.
- Turn the heat up to medium and stir in the cheese.
Add the broth a little at a time.
Stir gently until the cheese has melted and you have a small amount of "sauce".
- Serve hot with salt and pepper to taste.