- 1 lb
- ground hamburger -- your choice (i use 90%)
- 1 large
- 1 pkg
- onion soup mix -- your choice (i use generic)
- 4-6 slice
- bacon -- your choice (i use thick cut hickory)
- 1/4 large
- green bell pepper
- 1/4 large
- onion -- your choice (i use yellow)
- 1-2 tsp
- minced garlic -- fresh or jar/store bought
- 8 slice
- rye bread -- your choice (i use sourdough or marble rye from the store bakery section)
- 1-2 Tbsp
- butter or margarine of your choice (i use a heart healthy margarine)
- 4 slice
- swiss cheese -- your choice (i use deli sliced)
- pepper or other seasonings you may like
How to Make Patty Melt Special
- 1Slice the green pepper and onion into long thin pieces; set aside
- 2Slice bacon strips in half and fry to your liking; drain and set aside. Remove some grease from the pan. Let the rest of the grease cool a bit then add sliced vegetables to sauté slowly. Toss in garlic and any seasonings you may like. I only used fine ground black pepper. Set aside.
- 3While bacon, then vegetables are cooking, place ground beef in a bowl. Add the egg and onion mix packet. Mix thoroughly and make and fry four patties.
- 4Butter back sides of bread slices and use patties, cheese, bacon, and sautéed vegetables to build a sandwich. Grill to you liking and enjoy!!
- 5Tip 1: prepping the bacon, vegetables, and uncooked patties one day can save time on making the sandwiches on another day.
Tip 2: uncooked patties can be individually wrapped in wax paper and stored in a plastic bag or storage bin.