Youvaralakia Avgolemono (meatballs egg/lemon soup
1 kgground beef
2red onions, finely chopped or shredded
1/2 cwhite rice (carolina or glace if available)
2egg whites beaten (save yolk for soup)
·stock (chicken or veg)
·juice of 2 lemons
1 sprig(s)finely chopped parsley
How to Make Youvaralakia Avgolemono (meatballs egg/lemon soup
- Boil the stock. Amount depends on how much soup you want to make, I fill a large saucepan about 3/4.
- Mix the ground beef, onions, rice, beaten egg whites and chopped parsley. Add salt/pepper.
- Shape into meatballs (I like walnut sized) and drop them into the broth. Bring back to the boil and simmer for about an hour.
- When the meatballs are cooked, beat the egg yolks with about 3/4 of the lemon juice.(You can add more lemon at the end if you want) Take some broth from the pot and gradually add to yolks, beating all the time. You want to increase the temperature without turning it into an omelette!
- Add the egg mix back into the pot with the meatballs. Do not stir, gently shake the pot from side to side. Do not let ir boil. The soup will thicken and it's ready.Taste it, maybe you want more lemon? Enjoy!