Wendy's Polenta Lasagna
I took Terri's Crock Pot Polenta Lasagna and Stephanie's Polenta recipes and created this of my own. My intentions were to cook it in the crock pot, but time was not on my side. lol
I made Stephanie's Polenta (which is so yummy all on its own) Took most the ingredients from Terri's polenta lasanga and tadaaa! I hope you give it a try!
I marked this as medium difficulty...it's not hard, just putsy. :)
- 1 batch
- 1 lb
- sweet, mild or hot italian sausage, casings removed
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 8 oz
- mushrooms, sliced
- 10 oz
- pkg frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 large
- jar of marina sauce, (prego is good and not the ex large jar)
- 2 c
- cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
- 1/4 c
- parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 c
- mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 c
- swiss cheese, shredded
How to Make Wendy's Polenta Lasagna
- 1Prepare Stephanie's Polenta recipe to follow. Divide into 2 greased 9x13 pans, allow to cool and cut into 3"x6" strips.
- 2In a dutch oven, add 1T olive oil and brown sausage, add onion and mushrooms continue to saute until onion is tender. Add spinach and marinara sauce and heat through.
- 3In processor add cottage cheese, egg and parmesan cheese, process until well blended.
- 4In a 9x13 pan pour 1 1/2c of sauce mix and spread out, put one layer of polenta, 1c of the cottage cheese mixture, then 1/2c mozzarella cheese and 1/2c of swiss cheese, then 2c sauce mixture, polenta, cottage cheese, mozz and swiss then rest of sauce mixture and rest of mozz and swiss. Bake covered loosely at 350 for 30 min, remove foil and bake additional 15 min. Remove from oven let rest 15 min. before cutting into.
- 5Stephanies Polenta Recipe
1 quart whole milk, I use 3 1/2cups of milk and 1/2c heavy cream, as I never buy whole milk.
1 stick of butter
1 T sugar
1 1/2t salt
1 1/2c cornmeal
Coat a 9x13 pan with pam, In saucepan bring milk and butter to a boil, add sugar and salt. While milk is boiling add cornmeal slowly while whisking. Working quickly to avoid lumps. Allow to cook for a minute or two until texture is smooth like cream of wheat. Now you can add extras like cheese or bacon or whatever. When polenta is done it should pull away from the sides of the pan. Remove from heat and pour or spoon into 9x13. Allow to set at room temperature. May be served as soon as it sets. Or stored in frig and reheated.
- 6Remember if making the polenta for the lasagna, spray 2 9x13 pans with pam or one jelly roll pan....polenta should be about 1/2" thick to layer well.