Walking Tacos, Tortoise's Favorite Camp Meal
This is one of my favorite meals in camp, and I just love the addition of guacamole, especially since Shorty shared her recipe with me!
Panama Jack also brings a jar of salsa into camp with this meal...there are so many ways to make this recipe your own, and either way, I LOVE IT!
- 3 lb
- hamburger, fried and drained well
- 3 pkg
- taco seasoning mix
- 15 oz
- tomato sauce
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- guacamole (try shorty's guacacmole recipe)
- onion, optional
How to Make Walking Tacos, Tortoise's Favorite Camp Meal
- 1Have each girl bring 1-2 bags of Fritos, the small lunch box size ones.
- 2Before camp, fry the hamburger, drain and mix with seasoning and tomato sauce. Freeze in gallon ziplock. The tomato sauce will help keep the meat from burning when you heat it up in camp, and by lunchtime it will be thawed enough to heat. Each girl should open her Fritos and crumble the chips a little bit. Top chips with a spoonful of taco meat and let them get a spoonful of sour cream, guacamole or salsa on top. Then sprinkle with cheese and lettuce. I ask parents to bring extras (double up on them because sometimes parents forget!), I bring the meat and a big bag of Fritos along in case anybody forgets.
- 3This was doubled for our Cadette Cookout. I have used 4 pounds of meat in camp and never had leftovers. Thanks to Panama Jack for having the guacamole and salsa in daycamp. Laker loved it so much it is now a permanent part of the recipe!