Uncle D’s Chili
- 32 oz. ground beef
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed, 16 oz
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tbsp. hungarian paprika
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can tomato sauce, 32 oz.
- 1 cup chipotle barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese sauce recipe follows
- 1/2 cup sour cream
How to Make Uncle D’s Chili
- 1Heat beef in large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring and breaking it up, til browned. Drain off fat. Heat oil in another large skillet over medium low heat. Add onion and green pepper and cook,s stirring til softened and onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add beans, cumin, paprika, chili powder and black pepper. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring til the mixture is fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- 2Add browned beef and continue cooking and stirring til well mixed. Add tomato sauce and 1 cup of water. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook, stirring occasionally til mixture thickens, about 1 hour. Stir in chipotle barbecue sauce and season with salt. Top each serving with a tablespoon each of cheddar cheese sauce and sour cream. Serve at once. Serves 4
- 3Cheddar Cheese Sauce:
2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup flour
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 tsp. ground cayenne
Sea salt and black pepper
Heat milk in large pan over medium heat til you see bubbles forming on top. Meanwhile, melt butter in another pan and stir in flour to make a roux. Add warm milk, whisking constantly and continue cooking til mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Add cheese, whisking constantly to mix. Season with cayenne and salt and pepper to taste. Strain through a sieve to remove any lumps before serving.
Makes 3 cups.