This recipe from the Ukraine travel advisor website will allow you to enjoy your own version of this classic Eastern European dish.
2 lbbeef with bone
2onions, yellow, medium
2parsley roots (optional)
2 Tbsptomato paste
5peppercorns, whole black
1/2 lbsalted salo (or just salt)
How to Make Ukrainian Borscht
- You will need a 5-6 quart cooking pot.
- Cut the meat in pieces, place them in a pot filled with the cold water. Bring to a boil, skim off any fat on the surface. Cover and cook for about 1 hour.
- While meat is cooking, chop the beet as thin as you can, put it in a frying pan, add sunflower or vegetable oil, and fry until soft (don't make it too soft!). You can add 1 tea spoon of vinegar to save beet color.
- Chop cabbage (try to make the slices thin), peel and chop potatoes.
- Chop 3 carrots, 2 onions, 2 parsley roots, fry them until the onion starts to turn golden.
- When the meat is ready, add some salt, 2-3 bay leaves, peppercorns, potatoes.
- In 5-10 minutes add fried carrots, onions, parsley roots, and beets. Add chopped cabbage. Slow cook about 10 minutes.
- Add 2-3 table spoons of tomato paste, wait until it boils. Add a little bit sugar if it is too sour for you. Turn off the stove.
- Cut salted salo into the tiny cubes. Chop 0.5 head of garlic and the dill. Grind them together in a deep bowl with a wooden spoon. Stir into cooked borscht. Enjoy!