TX Rueben Sandwich
I do, however, make him wash the sour kraut because I find it stinky, LOL.
I took him one to work one day and had 7 of his co-workers request them. So, I went home and made 7 more stinky sandwiches. They loved them! They especially loved the addition of the sauted onion. I've had several of the wives jokingly tell me to stop feeding their husbands because they expect them to cook like I do. Then, they tell me thank you for cooking for their husbands and have even bought the ingredients I needed to make some dishes so that I'll continue to cook for the department so they don't have to-HA!
- 1 lb
- shaved roast beef or pastrami (which ever is on sale)
- 3 large
- yellow onions, sliced thinly
- 8 slice
- rye or pumpernickle bread (rye is best but pump will sub)
- 1 bottle
- russian dressing
- 8 slice
- swiss cheese
- 1 jar(s)
- German Sour Kraut
How to Make TX Rueben Sandwich
- 1Melt butter in saute pan. Add onions and cook till caramelized. Pour left over butter into heat safe bowl. (You'll use the seasoned butter on the bread.)
- 2Butter the bread. Place bread, dry side down on hot pan while buttering next slice. Flip Bread over, place slice of cheese on bread. Repeat with other slice of buttered bread. Then add 1/4 of meat on one slice. Add the desired amount of sauted onion and sour kraut; cover with other slice of bread.
- 3Grill until toasted on both sides.
Repeat process until you have 4 sandwiches made.
Serve with Kosher Dill pickle