Tri Tip Roast and Potatoes
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This meat has a lovely, simple seasoning that will satisfy all of your meat-and-potatoes eaters.
NOTE: We cut back on the cooking time for both the meat and the potatoes, so be sure to adjust the cook time for your particular appliances. The Crew and I ended up microwaving the potatoes for a total of 8 minutes, and the meat/potatoes in the oven for just 30. The Test Kitchen
- 4 lb
- tri tip roast
- 1-2 tsp
- seasoning salt
- 1 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 tsp
- onion powder
- pam or vegetable cooking spray
- 4-6 medium
- baking potatoes
- sea salt for potatoes, just for the skin
How to Make Tri Tip Roast and Potatoes
- 1Set oven to 425*F. Place Tri Tip roast in a large roasting pan with the fat side up. Season well with the spices and seasonings from above. Set aside as we prepare the potatoes.
- 2Scrub the potatoes and cut off any nicks, then prick each potato with a fork. Microwave all the potatoes on a plate for 8 minutes. This par bakes the potatoes so they can sit around the roast and be done on time with the meat.
- 3Place the potatoes around the roast. Spray the potatoes with Pam and sprinkle with sea salt.
- 4Place roast and potatoes in the oven. Set Timer for 30 minutes. Meat is done when: Thermometer reaches 140*F for medium rare. 150-155 for medium and so on. Let roast cool 10 minutes then carve and serve. Comes out juicy and the potatoes are soft and fluffy inside with a delicious skin.