tips for cooking a rib roast
Ingredients For tips for cooking a rib roast
- AU JUS: SKIM THE EXCESS FAT FROM THE ROASTING PAN, POUR IN A CUP OR SO OF HOMEMADE BEEF STOCK AND BRING TO A BOIL, MASHING THE ROASTED VEGETABLES INTO THE LIQUID AND SCRAPING UP THE COAGULATED JUICES.
- POUR INTO A SQUCEPAN AND SIMMER SERVERAL MINUTES, SKIMMING OFF ADDITIONAL FAT, CORRECT SEASONING. STRAIN INTO A WARM SAUCE BOWL PRESSING JUICES OUT OF THE VEGGIES AND ADDING ANY JUICES FROM THE ROAST. PUT A SPOONFUL ON EACH SERVING OF ROAST.
- 2ND OPTION FOR SAUCE: HORSERADISH SAUCE:
- EASY! 4-5 TLBS. BOTTLED HORSERADISH, 2 TBLS DIJON MUSTARD, SALT, WHITE PEPPER AND SOUR CREAM. STIR TOGETHER AND TO TASTE. WE FIND WE NEED ALMOST ALL THE HORSERADISH-BUT WE LIKE IT WITH A KICK.
How To Make tips for cooking a rib roast
1For a 5 rib roast total time 2 1/4 - 2 3/4 hours. (smaller roasts take less time, 3 rib 1 1/2 ~ 1 3/4 hours and 2 rib 1~1 1/4 hours)
2Put meat into a 325 degree oven and roast to a temp of 120 at the large end, basting with accumulated fat every 30 minutes. Add a 3/4 hour lee way and rest before carving. OPTIONAL TIP: Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees, put in your seasoned roast for 10-15 min. to allow it to sear. Then turn heat down to 275 degrees. (we did this)
35 rib (12 lb) roast 2 Tbs cooking oil 1/2 each chopped carrots and onions, to flavor the juices 1/2 tsp. dried thyme 2 cups beef stock
4Rub the exposed ends of the roast with cooking oil. Put it fat side up in the roasting pan. Place the roast in the lower middle level in a pre heated oven. In 1/2 hour check to see that all is going well, baste the ends of the meat with the fat accumulated in the pan. After 1 hour, strew the chopped carrots and onions around the beef baste them with the pan fat and sprinkle with the thyme. (this smell great and makes the meat and any au jus sauce taste wonderful) Baste again in another 1/2 hour and when 2 hours are up, begin taking the temp. When it has reached 110 watch out! It rises quickly from now on.
5Its done rosy rare at the large end when the temp is 120 small end 125 degrees Remove roast let it rest for 20-30 minutes to allow juices to retreat into the meat before cutting. The temp will rise about 10 more degrees while it sits. You can hold it longer in the pan or on a platter cover it loosly and place over a kettle of almost simmering water it will keep for an hour or more this way. TWO SAUCES LISTED ABOVE, ENJOY Ours came out perfect !
- Last Step: Don't forget to share! Make all your friends drool by posting a picture of your finished recipe on your favorite social network. And don't forget to tag Just A Pinch and include #justapinchrecipes so we can see it too!