Terrific Tamale Pie1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 lbground beef
1/4 cgreen chiles, chopped
3green onions, chopped
1 tspground pure hot red chile
·freshly ground black pepper
8 oztomato sauce
1/4 cevaporated milk
1/2 tspdry mustard
2 cmonterey jack cheese, grated
4stuffed olives, sliced
How to Make Terrific Tamale Pie
- Fry bacon until crisp; break into large pieces. Set side.
- Chill bacon drippings until firm for use in the crust.
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet; drain off fat.
- Stir in next 10 ingredients.
- Reserve egg, evaporated milk, etc., for the top crust.
- Prepare the piecrust, and use it to line a 9-inch pie pan.
- Place meat mixture in the pan.
- Bake at 425 for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine egg, evaporated milk, mustard and cheese.
- Spread on top of the pie and decorate with the reserved bacon pieces and the sliced olives.
- Bake for 5 minutes longer, or until cheese melts.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, or until firm, before serving.
- CORNMEAL PIECRUST (1 crust for 9-inch pie): 1 cup all purpose flour 2 tablespoon cornmeal 1/3 cup firm bacon drippings OR other shortening 3-4 tablespoon cold water.
- Combine flour and cornmeal, then cut in bacon drippings.
- When mixture is granular, add the water, in small quantities to insure a flaky crust, until pastry is mixed.
- Roll out on a floured surface to a circle 1 1/2 times larger than the inverted 9-inch pie pan.
- Fit pastry into pan and form a fluted edge all around.