Taste of Mexico Meatloaf
2 lb90/10 ground sirloin
3/4 lbbeef chorizo
3/4 cchopped red onion
1 - 4diced mild chili pappers (anaheim or fresno)
4 smallyellow corn tortillas
1/2 cchopped cilantro plus 2 tablespoons whole leaves
1-1/2 cmedium salsa verde, divided
1 cgrated cotijo cheese
How to Make Taste of Mexico Meatloaf
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 deg. F
- Break-up the beef and chorizo into a large mixing bowl. Add the red onion, chilli peppers and eggs and combine
- Coarse chop or pulse in a food processor, the tortillas to make about one cup and add to the bowl with the other ingredients along with the cilantro, 3/4 cup of the salsa verde and ½ cup of the Cotija cheese. Combine thoroughly.
- Place into a meatloaf pan, with a removable insert, if you have one. Or, form into a loaf and place it on a greased baking sheet.
- Put the meatloaf into the oven, turn the heat down to 350 deg. and bake for 45 minutes. Check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer. If it's reaching 140 to 145 degrees, turn the heat down to 325.
- After 45 minutes, take the meatloaf out of the oven, sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Return to the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the internal temperature is 150 - 155 deg. F
- Remove from the oven, cover loosely, let rest 5 to 10 minutes. Pour a small amount of the remaining salsa on each plate, slice the meatloaf, place on each plate, sprinkle on the remaining cheese and cilantro and serve.