P.S. Mom never liked a lot of heat, I do. I think if I made this today I would add a diced jalapeno or serrano chili to the saute mixture for added heat. I would probably also throw in some chopped fresh cilantro. Maybe salsa instead of plain tomato sauce? Be creative!
Note: Photo borrowed from internet.
1 can(s)black olives, sliced or whole
1green bell pepper, chopped
3 Tbspchili powder
1 ccorn meal
2 ccreamed corn
2 smallcans tomato sauce
·salt and pepper, to taste
·grated cheese (cheddar, pepper jack, or other of your choice) to top with
How to Make Tamale Pie
- Brown hamburger, onion and bell pepper.
- Stir in corn, tomato sauce, chili powder and olives.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir together. (I like to beat the milk and eggs together first.)
- Pour into a casserole dish. (Mom always used a deep, square or round Corning ware dish.)
- Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and let stand for 10 minutes.