P.S. Mom never liked a lot of heat, I do. I think if I made this today I would add a diced jalapeno or serrano chili to the saute mixture for added heat. I would probably also throw in some chopped fresh cilantro. Maybe salsa instead of plain tomato sauce? Be creative!
Note: Photo borrowed from internet.
- 1 lb
- 1 can(s)
- black olives, sliced or whole
- onion, chopped
- green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 c
- eggs, beaten
- 3 Tbsp
- chili powder
- 1 c
- corn meal
- 2 c
- creamed corn
- 2 small
- cans tomato sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- grated cheese (cheddar, pepper jack, or other of your choice) to top with
How to Make Tamale Pie
- 1Brown hamburger, onion and bell pepper.
- 2Stir in corn, tomato sauce, chili powder and olives.
- 3Add remaining ingredients and stir together. (I like to beat the milk and eggs together first.)
- 4Pour into a casserole dish. (Mom always used a deep, square or round Corning ware dish.)
- 5Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
- 6Sprinkle with grated cheese and let stand for 10 minutes.