Sweet Potato Harvest Beef Stew
This is one of those recipes.
While the kitchen is warm, bake some fresh crusty bread or rolls to serve with this wonderful recipe!
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 1/2 lb
- beef stew meat or other suitable beef cut into 1 inch cubes i like to use a soup bone for added flavor
- 1 Tbsp
- canola oil
- 1 1/2 c
- cubed peeled sweet potato
- 3 small
- red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 c
- cubed and peeled butternut or acorn squash
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 28 ounce carton reduced sodium beef stock
- 1 can(s)
- 14.5 ounce diced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
- bay leaves
- 1 tsp
- minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 c
- cold water
- 2 Tbsp
- corn starch
How to Make Sweet Potato Harvest Beef Stew
- 1In a large dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat to just smoking. Add beef in batches and brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl, set aside. After all meat is browned and removed add onions to the pan with the beef drippings, and the bone if using then cook for 5 minutes stirring occassionally. Add rest of veggies and cook about 5 more minutes.
- 2Stir in the tomatoes, broth and seasonings.
I like to add a soup bone at this point then cook. It is optional, but I believe you get a better flavored stew. It's up to you.
Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
Remove from oven. Remove 2 cups of broth into small saucepan. Bring to boil and add cornstarch mixture, stir until thick. Pour thickend sauce back into stew and mix well. Serve with fresh bread or rolls!