Susan's Sunday Pot Roast
We love LOTS of carrots so add as much as you like.
My familiy likes this served over rice.
13-5 lb chuck roast, shoulder roast, texas broil
3-4 mediumgarlic cloves quartered
2 tspeach-salt and pepper mixed in a small bowl
2 Tbspvegetable oil
1 largejumbo onion, quartered
3 largestalks celery cut in chunks or slices
1/2 coptional-dry red wine
2cubes knorr beef bouillon, or equivilent and water to cover/or canned beef broth to cover
2-3 sprig(s)fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dry thyme
1-2 lbcarrots, peeled and cut however you desire-chunks, sticks etc.
2-3 lbpotatoes, peeled and quartered
·optional-squashes, beans, other vegetables as desired
·optional-1 can tomatoes
How to Make Susan's Sunday Pot Roast
- Using a paring knife, cut deep narrow slits down into the meat and stuff each pocket with a sliver of garlic and a large pinch of salt/pepper mixed.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium high, and deeply brown both sides of the roast. Remove to a plate and add the onion and celery, and cook stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the wine if using, deglazing the pan, or just add the water/broth to deglaze.
- Add the bouillon cubes, and meat to the pan(make sure to get all the juices from the plate)
Bring to a boil over high, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add the carrots and thyme to the pot, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Check liquid level, add potatoes and other veggies if using. Cover and cook another 60 minutes.
- At the 2 hour point, check the meat for tenderness, and cook additional time if needed.
Add more liquid at any point if needed.
Serve as desired.