Sunday Pot Roast
1beef chuck pot roast (about 21/2 lbs.)
·salt and black pepper
3 mediumbaking potatoes (about 1 lb.) unpeeled
2 largecelery stalks
1 tspdried rosemary
1/2 tspdried thyme
1/2 cbeef broth
How to Make Sunday Pot Roast
- Trim any excess fat from beef. Discard fat. Cut beef into serving-size pieces; season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Scrub potatoes. Cut scrubbed potatoes into quarters. Cut carrots and parsnip diagonally into 3/4-inch slices. Slice celery into 1 1/2- to 2- inch pieces.
- Place potato, carrot, parsnip, celery, onion and bay leaves in slow cooker. Sprinkle rosemary and thyme over vegetables.
- Arrange beef over vegetables in slow cooker. Pour broth over beef.
- Cover slow cooker and cook pot roast on LOW about 8 1/2 to 9 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Remove beef to large serving platter. Arrange vegetables around beef on platter. Remove and discard bay leaves. Serve pot roast with juices from slow cooker or with gravy, if desired.
- GRAVY: Ladle the juices from the slow cooker into a 2-cup measuring cup; place in a small saucepan and heat to a boil. For each cup of juice , mix 1/4 cup of cold water and 2 tblsp flour until smooth. Add to the boiling juices, stirring constantly; cook 1 minute or until thickened.