6green peppers (whole)
2 lbground beef
2 Tbspchopped onion (or more to taste)
2 csoft bread crumbs (i use gluten-free)
1 1/2 ptstewed tomatoes (or 6 fresh tomatoes, chopped)
2 tspsalt (or to taste)
1/4 tsppepper (or to taste)
1 1/2 Tbspyellow mustard
How to Make Stuffed Peppers
- Cut a slice from the top of each pepper; remove seeds and white membrane.
- Precook peppers in boiling salted water for 5 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, brown onion and hamburger in hot skillet, chopping to break up lumps.
- Remove from heat; drain. Add bread crumbs, tomatoes, salt, pepper and mustard.
- Fill pepper cases with mixture. Dot tops with butter, then replace pepper "caps" to top of stuffed pepper.
- Place in baking dish (I find a loaf pan works best to hold them upright) and pour in 1 cup of water into bottom of baking dish.
- Bake 375* for 35 minutes.