Stuffed cabbage the slovak way
- 3 lg heads of cabbage
- 3 lbs lean hamburger (raw)
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked minute rice
- 3 large eggs
- medium onion (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 to 10 tbl white vinegar or to taste
- 1/2 cup crisco
- 1/2 cup flour
How to Make Stuffed cabbage the slovak way
- 1Place heads of cabbage in a large stock pot, core side up.Fill with enough water to boil.when it starts to boil cut around core to allow leaves to fall/loosen away from core.Remove core and save.Place cabbage leaves on a big platter.Reserve the cabbage water as well.Cut the thick core off the back of each cabbage leaf.Mix raw hamburger, 3 eggs, uncooked rice, salt and pepper, together.In Large pot may have to use 2 pots. place some shredded cabbage from core on bottom of pan or leaves that you can't use to stuff. Place a small amount of hamb mixture on each leaf, roll and tuck sides in as you roll.Place on top shredded cabbage seam sides down.
- 2Fill pan 3/4 way with rolled cabbage, fill pan enough to cover cabbage with reserved cabbage water.
- 3Simmer about an hour. Then put 6 Tbl or to taste of vinegar in with the rolled cabbage. Make a roux with the flour and crisco, cook until it is a medium to dark color brown.Add it to the pan and simmer cabbage another 1/2 to an hour more, or until cabbage is tender and soft.Start with 6 Tbl vinegar and taste as it cooks to see if you want to add more.
We like to serve it with fresh rye bread. And is even better tasting the next day as leftovers