Stuff Green Pepper Soup
This makes a great winter time dinner, served with crusty bread. But I find the family asking for this soup in mid summer when the peppers are coming into season.
Hope you enjoy this as much as my family does.
1 lbground beef
1 largeonion (diced)
1 largegreen bell pepper (seeded and diced)
1 can(s)diced tomatos (large can)
1 1/2 cinstant rice
4 cbeef broth or beef broth reduced sodium
1bay leaf (optional)
·salt and pepper to taste you can add 1/4 teaspoon of cumin to give this soup a smoky flavor.
How to Make Stuff Green Pepper Soup
- In a Dutch oven, over a medium heat, brown ground beef and drain off any fat. Return meat to the pot.
- Place pot back on the heat and add the diced onion and pepper stirring while the onion becomes translucent and the pepper becomes tender. This is about 5 mins. You can add salt and pepper at this time to taste. (I season though out the cooking as I add ingredients.)
- Add broth to the pot and stir well. Add the whole can of tomatoes (juice as well) and stir well. Taste and season as needed.
- Cover and let this simmer about 20 mins., for the flavors to come together. You can add a bay leaf at this time if you like the flavor that a bay leaf gives to this dish. (I do use a bay leaf.)
- About 20 mins. before your ready to eat, add the instant rice and stir well. If the soup had cooked down you can add more broth or water at this point to make sure there is enough liquid to cook the rice. Cover and simmer until the rice is cooked. Stir occasionally to make sure the rice does not stick.
- Call the family to dinner, if they have not all ready come to see what is smelling so good. Serve with a crusty bread and see how the warm flavors of this hearty soup spreads smiles around you family table.