Stovetop Chili Mac
·coarse salt and ground pepper
3/4 lbrigatoni or other tube-shaped pasta
1 tspextra-virgin olive oil
3 clovegarlic, roughly chopped
1 smallyellow onion, diced small
1 lbground chuck, lean
1 3/4 tspground cumin
1 ccorn kernels, thawed if frozen
1 smallzucchini, diced medium
1 can(s)(28 ounces) diced tomatoes
2 ozcheddar cheese, grated (3/4 cup)
How to Make Stovetop Chili Mac
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and return to pot. Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until onion is translucent, 3 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add beef, and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add corn and zucchini and cook until zucchini is crisp-tender, 2 minutes. Add Tomatoes and juice, bring to a simmer, and cook until mixture is heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Mix in pasta and stir until well blended. Serve in bowls and top with cheese.
- I added the 1 teaspoon of ancho chili pepper when I added the cumin. We like the flavor of the ancho and it doesn't add a lot of heat--just a nice spicy flavor.