Stick-to-your-ribs Beef Stew - A comfort Food
- 2 1/2 lb
- beef for stewing , cut into cubes (usually comes that way)
- 1/3 c
- all purpose flour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- clove garlic. minced
- 3 c
- water ( I use low sodium beef stock instead and 2 cups water as well )
- beef bouillon cubes ( if you use the beef stock, you can either cut these out or use to taste - lower sodium that way )
- 1 Tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce ( I use Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet - this depends on how you want the gravy to be... )
- medium potatoes, cut in chunks
- 16 oz
- bag of carrots, cut in chunks
- stalks celery, cut in chunks or med dice ( you can also add mixed frozen veggies or frozen peas or whatever floats your boat )
In 6 qt Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Brown meat all over ( does not need to be cooked through ) a few pieces at a time. Remove and set aside. When all the meat is browned, add garlic and onions to the pan drippings; cook 3 minutes, stirring until onion is almost tender. Gradually add water ( or stock ),bouillon and worcestershire, stirring. Add the meat and heat to boiling. Add the potatoes and carrots and cover. Simmer about 2 1/2 hours. Add celery and cover. Simmer another 20 minutes or so...If you are using frozen peas/veggies, add and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.
Here, I add water to the reserved flour, stir until it is lump free then add to thicken the gravy.
I also add mushrooms...I substitute rough cut (quartered) onions for the
diced and also baby carrots instead of regular...
Flavor to your taste...it is something you can experiment with and I serve over egg noodles or with a nice crusty bread and butter or what ever you like...