Steamed Cabbage Beef Rolls With Sauce
Blue Ribbon Recipe
These rolls are incredible! The dish had a hint of an Asian flair to it despite the absence of any traditionally Asian ingredients. Very tasty. (The tomato sauce would also be good on its own with other dishes as well.) The Test Kitchen
1 lblean ground beef
1/2 cchopped onion
1 1/2 ccooked rice
3 Tbspbutter, melted
1/2 csoft bread crumbs
1/4 tspsage, ground
1 dash(es)ground nutmeg
1/2 tspchili powder
2 ctomato juice
How to Make Steamed Cabbage Beef Rolls With Sauce
- Cut the core from cabbage.
- Under running water, carefully remove about 15 leaves to use for the recipe.
- Have about 2 quarts water boiling; add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Dip the cabbage leaves in boiling water, 3 at a time, for about 3 minutes.
- Remove with tongs, drain and set aside.
- Mix the meat, onion, cooked rice, butter, bread crumbs, sage, pepper, nutmeg and salt.
- Lay a cabbage leaf on a flat surface.
- Put 2-4 tablespoons of the mixture on each leaf, depending on the leaf size.
- Put the meat near the base of the leaf, fold leaf up and over the meat, turning under the sides.
- This will make about 15 rolls.
- Place the rolls, seam side down, in a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Make two layers of the rolls.
- Place this dish on rack over 2 inches of simmering water in wok or large heavy pan with rack.
- Cover pan or wok and steam for 35-40 minutes.
- TOMATO SAUCE: Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet.
- Add the salt, chili powder and the flour.
- Mix to a smooth paste.
- Cook over high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and slowly stir in the tomato juice.
- Return to heat and cook until it boils and thickens.