3 lbtop round, veal, sirloin tip, your choice sliced very thin (1/8 to 1/4")
1/4-3/4 coil of choice
6 citalian bread crumbs
2 cgrated parmisan cheese
1 mediumtomato chopped
1 mediumonion chopped
1 can(s)grated romano cheese
·salt or no salt substitute, to taste
·pepper, to taste
·jar of bay leaves (optional)
How to Make Spiedini
- First, cut the meat to about 4x6" or rectangular shaped pieces. If the meat is about 1/4" thick, you can pound it between wax paper or plastic to tenderize and make it thinner. Then coat each piece with oil on both sides, pile onto a large plate and set aside. Mix the Italian bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese together in a large wide bowl and set aside.
- Second, chop the tomato, place in a bowl and set aside. Chop the onion, place in a bowl and set aside. Have the can of grated Romano set aside with the tomato and onion.
- Next, dredge each piece of meat in the bread crumb mixture on both sides and pile aside onto a large plate.
- Then, set up assembly line style: Take one piece of meat, put a teaspoon of tomato, onion and Romano at the larger end of the meat, fold in sides and roll up into "small meat roll". Pack side by side into a large cookie sheet or large glass rectangle baking dish. Place one bay leaf in between each roll.
- Once the meat rolls are all packed into the baking dish, sprinkle across the tops with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Bake for 20-25 mins at 375-400 degrees. Smaller batches need less time. You can monitor this to see what works best in your oven.