Mertzie's Spicy Steak Stir Fry
- pound of steak (i like flat iron), -- bring to room temp & cut in thin strips
- oz. mushrooms, sliced
- small onion, cut into strips
- green pepper, cut into strips
- cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- tsps sesame oil + more for pan
- cup beef broth
- 4 Tbsp
- soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp
- rice vinegar
- heaping, of garlic chili paste (use more if you like it really spicy)
- 3 tsp
- dash of chinese 5-spice (if you don't have it, use some ginger if you wish)
- salt, ground black pepper,
How to Make Mertzie's Spicy Steak Stir Fry
- 1I like to have all my veggies chopped the night before or morning of to make it easy when I get home from work. Heat your wok or large fry pan to high. Add enough canola oil to cover bottom and add a splash of sesame oil. As this is heating....
- 2Whisk together the sauce (I just use a fork): sesame oil, soy, rice vinegar, chili garlic paste, and cornstarch. Make sure there are no cornstarch lumps. Set aside.
- 3Add your steak slices, onions and peppers to the pan. (I keep them separate for ease of flipping the steak pieces). Salt the peppers & onions lightly. When bottom of steak gets seared, toss to other side. Toss the onions & peppers frequently for a minute or two. As they get soft, add the mushrooms and toss. Then add the tomatoes, and toss everything together.
- 4Add beef broth a little at a time until you feel it is the right amount of liquid. Simmer for a minute or two, then add the soy mixture sauce. Add a generous amount of fresh ground black pepper. Add salt to your liking -- I don't need any.
- 5Coat evenly and once it all is covered & hot -- you are ready to dig in with a bowl of rice. Enjoy!