Our neighbors were involved in a revival seminar and I made this dish and took half over to them. They kind of frowned because they didn't care for Spanish Rice.
About 10 minutes later I got a call they were raving about this recipe. So it has their approval as well as ours.
2 lblean ground beef
8 to 10 slicebacon, broken into pieces
1 mediumonion, diced
2 to 3cloves of garlic, minced
1 mediummedium pepper, diced (color of you choice)
1 pkgold el paso taco seasoning
1/2 qtstewed tomatoes
4 Tbspsalsa, mild/med/ or hot you choice
1 smalljar of traditional ragu sauce
1 can(s)tomato soup
2soup cans of hot water
1 boxminute rice, 14 oz. size
1/4 cshakes of grated parmesan cheese, more if you want
How to Make Spanish Rice
- Fry bacon in a deep pan, until crisp. Drain on paper towels until cool enough to handle. Break into pieces and set aside.
- Sweat the onions, peppers and garlic. Remove from pan. Now brown the hamburg until no pink remains. Drain oil from pan.
- Add the onions, peppers and garlic to hamburg and add the taco seasoning. Stir. Add the jar of Ragu sauce, stewed tomatoes, salsa, tomato soup and water.* Stir to combine. Heat until bubbling.
- Add the bacon and enough rice to thicken but still loose. The rice will absorb the sauce. Cover, remove from heat. Let set about 10 minutes off the heat. Check to see if the rice has absorbed most of the sauce. Stir and serve.
- * You can make this as spicy as you like. I add some (Goldie's Death Dust). That is hot pepper seasoning like cayenne pepper or Habanero pepper or sauce. I make my own every year. Just add it to the sauce before adding the rice.