Our neighbors were involved in a revival seminar and I made this dish and took half over to them. They kind of frowned because they didn't care for Spanish Rice.
About 10 minutes later I got a call they were raving about this recipe. So it has their approval as well as ours.
- 2 lb
- lean ground beef
- 8 to 10 slice
- bacon, broken into pieces
- 1 medium
- onion, diced
- 2 to 3
- cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium
- medium pepper, diced (color of you choice)
- 1 pkg
- old el paso taco seasoning
- 1/2 qt
- stewed tomatoes
- 4 Tbsp
- salsa, mild/med/ or hot you choice
- 1 small
- jar of traditional ragu sauce
- 1 can(s)
- tomato soup
- soup cans of hot water
- 1 box
- minute rice, 14 oz. size
- 1/4 c
- shakes of grated parmesan cheese, more if you want
How to Make Spanish Rice
- 1Fry bacon in a deep pan, until crisp. Drain on paper towels until cool enough to handle. Break into pieces and set aside.
- 2Sweat the onions, peppers and garlic. Remove from pan. Now brown the hamburg until no pink remains. Drain oil from pan.
- 3Add the onions, peppers and garlic to hamburg and add the taco seasoning. Stir. Add the jar of Ragu sauce, stewed tomatoes, salsa, tomato soup and water.* Stir to combine. Heat until bubbling.
- 4Add the bacon and enough rice to thicken but still loose. The rice will absorb the sauce. Cover, remove from heat. Let set about 10 minutes off the heat. Check to see if the rice has absorbed most of the sauce. Stir and serve.
- 5* You can make this as spicy as you like. I add some (Goldie's Death Dust). That is hot pepper seasoning like cayenne pepper or Habanero pepper or sauce. I make my own every year. Just add it to the sauce before adding the rice.