Southwestern Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast, about 3 to 4 lbs.
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. chipotle cdhile powder
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 poblano pepper, sliced
- 1 cup prepared thick and chunky salsa
- 1 to 2 cups beef stock
- salt and pepper
- 8 hoagie buns
- 8 oz. pepper jack cheese, shredded
How to Make Southwestern Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- 1Dry meat thoroughly with paper towels. Mix spices, reserving 1 teaspoon. Rub 2 teaspoons of the spices on the roast
- 2Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add the roast and carefully sear. Remove from the pot.
- 3Add onion, poblano and reserved 1 teaspoon spices to the pot. Saute til tender. Remove, let cool and refrigerate.
- 4Return roast to pot. Add salsa and enough beef stock to halfway cover the roast. Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer gently til fork tender, about 3 hours.
- 5Remove roast to cutting board. Slice beef and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add onions and peppers to the liquid in pot to reheat.
- 6Preheat broiler. Split hoagie buns, top with cheese and toast briefly under broiler. Assemble the sandwiches with beef, onions and peppers. Makes 8 servings.