Southwestern Cheesesteak Sandwiches
·1 boneless beef chuck roast, about 3 to 4 lbs.
·1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
·1 1/2 tsp. chipotle cdhile powder
·2 tbsp. vegetable oil
·1 large onion, sliced
·1 poblano pepper, sliced
·1 cup prepared thick and chunky salsa
·1 to 2 cups beef stock
·salt and pepper
·8 hoagie buns
·8 oz. pepper jack cheese, shredded
How to Make Southwestern Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- Dry meat thoroughly with paper towels. Mix spices, reserving 1 teaspoon. Rub 2 teaspoons of the spices on the roast
- Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add the roast and carefully sear. Remove from the pot.
- Add onion, poblano and reserved 1 teaspoon spices to the pot. Saute til tender. Remove, let cool and refrigerate.
- Return roast to pot. Add salsa and enough beef stock to halfway cover the roast. Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer gently til fork tender, about 3 hours.
- Remove roast to cutting board. Slice beef and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add onions and peppers to the liquid in pot to reheat.
- Preheat broiler. Split hoagie buns, top with cheese and toast briefly under broiler. Assemble the sandwiches with beef, onions and peppers. Makes 8 servings.