★★★★★ 2 votes5
- 4 to 6
- cube steak
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 pinch
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 to 1/2 c
- cooking oil
- 1 1/2 c
How to Make Southern Chicken Fried Steak And Gravy
- 1in a flat dish or pan ( i use a pie pan) combine flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne. whisk together.
- 2break the 2 eggs into a seperate bowl. dip steaks in egg and then flour mixture. (i only do this once but some people dip in egg, then flour, then egg again and flour again).
- 3make sure they are well coated with flour.
- 4in a skillet on top of the stove heat oil to sizzling. (when you put a drop of water in oil it sizzles).
- 5add steaks to hot oil being very careful since the oil is hot.
- 6cook 4-6 minute on each side until golden brown. remove steaks to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- 7pour hot oil from skillet until you have about 4 tablespoons remaining along with the browned crumbs and such in the pan.
- 8add 3-4 tablespoons of the leftover flour to the drippings and stir to mix well. add 2 cups milk and cook to boiling.
- 9remove when gravy gets to desired thickness. pour gravy over steaks and serve.