2 lbground beef
1 can(s)red kidney beans
24 ozchunky picante sauce
1 lbcheddar cheese, shredded
2 pkgcorn muffin mix
1 - 1 1/3 cmilk, depending upon the instructions on your corn muffin mix
How to Make Sombrero Casserole
- Preheat the oven to whatever temperature your corn muffin mix is to be baked.
- Brown the ground meat & onion together.
- While the meat is browning, mix the cornbread mix with the eggs & milk and set aside. Also, drain & rinse the kidney beans until the liquid runs clear.
- When the meat is done, drain off any fat. Then mix it with the picante sauce and the kidney beans.
- Pour the meat mixture into the bottom of an UNGREASED 9' x 13" casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the meat.
- Spoon the corn muffin mix over all and carefully spread evenly.
- Bake according to corn muffin directions - until a pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- I like to spread a little butter over the top of it. My husband likes to add additional picante sauce to the top of his serving.